Saturday, August 8, 2009

Afraid of my creativitiy

So I've got some issues tapping into my creativity. I feel like there's this artistic genius who is trying to get out of my incredibly crowded brain, but is trapped by fear of rejection and failure. I've been told that I write beautifully, but when I try to write a story, I always end up feeling as if it's a juvenile undertaking- the characters are too flat, the dialogue is stilted, my descriptions are lacking in finesse. I don't know if I'm hampered by the fact that I've been teaching writing to people under the age of 18 for 10 years, or if I'm really incapable of writing a complete work of fiction. A few years ago I started using The Right to Write as a guide, but stopped for various reasons.

So now, I find myself in a position of not having a classroom in the fall and really questioning what I want to do with my time. After seeing Julie & Julia I realized that I had a lot in common with Julie: academically gifted, government employee, unhappy with her life's current direction. I also see myself at a turning point. After the past eight months since I started my mind/body transformation, I see myself as someone with more possibilities than I had thought previously. At the same time, I'm lacking direction- where do I go with these possibilities?

Yes I can sing, but will I make money at it? Probably not. Okay, so there's another thing- I'm too grounded in the "probably not". Maybe I'm too afraid to audition for something because I know there's no shortage of talented singers in the world, but there is a shortage of contracts to be had. I also know that I'm gifted in that I can sing, but my voice is not original. I can imitate Alanis or Sarah McLachlan, but my voice isn't unique like theirs. It's just a good, strong voice.

There are a few things I feel *really* good at: reading, typing, giving presentations, and planning trips to Walt Disney World ;) So, based on that, what do I do with my life? Join the crew at DVC?

It's such a weird feeling- maybe other artistic types can understand/explain... I feel like there's this excitement within me that's always on the verge of breaking out/breaking through/bubbling up, but never quite gets there. It's the potential that's never actualized and it's driving me nuts.

2 comments:

  1. I get it!! You already know a great deal about yourself. Some strengths lead to employment, and we're lucky and wise when they do. Others lead to avocations, and we're happy and fulfilled when they do, too.

    Somebody else really "gets it," too! Take a look at Michael Bungay Stanier's practical tips on "Find Your Great Work!" at Boxofcrayons.com. Michael likes the BIG boxes of crayons, hence the web address.

    ReplyDelete