Sunday, August 9, 2009

Literary musings...

As I've been reading through the wonderful e-mailed comments I've received from friends and family, I've been thinking really hard about where my strengths and weaknesses lie. I was also really inspired by Julie's blog and what her husband said to her that got her started- what do you love to do when you're not working? She loved to cook- it relaxed her and made her feel successful. She could complete a meal and have the satisfaction of knowing someone else was enjoying it. She received positive, supportive feedback from those who tasted her dishes and felt good. So she decided to use that energy in her chosen career path as writer and combine the two. Thus, the Julie/Julia project was created.

Now, I'm not a big cook. I've been experimenting more as I've come to nutritional awareness, trying to use the bounty of Nature to sweeten my palate, as opposed to over-processed sugars. Do I feel good when I hear the "yum"? You betcha. But it's not something I'm going to do full time. I don't have the patience or drive for it.

What I do have patience and drive for is reading and talking about books. I'm someone who gets wrapped up in a story, falls in love with characters, and cries when they hurt. There are novels I've wanted to jump into, and novels I wish I'd never opened. There are novels I've wished would go on forever, and some which I wish had never been written.

So, I was thinking about this a lot yesterday. How can I combine my love of reading with my desire to write? I already know I have weaknesses with writing my own, original fiction. So, I thought about writing a chapter for books I've loved over the years. Now, could this be called "fan-fiction"? I guess so. But I'm also thinking that this could be a jumping off point for me. If I start writing in different genres, mimicking different styles, I may be inspired to create my own, original works. My writing style may improve.

So, my question to you, dear readers (and please post your comments on the blog, so others can see/respond)... what novels would you like to see have another chapter?

5 comments:

  1. how about "Serpent's Reach" by CJ Cherryh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. I've never read it, but I do like Cherryh, so I'll have to check it out :) Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also going to attempt Time Traveler's Wife (Dr. Mom request) and The Secret Life of Bees (H.H. request). So, this is going to require a little re-reading for me, so be patient for the product :)

    ReplyDelete